In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Lamoine Historical Society

Shore Acres Hotel, Lamoine, 1927

Contributed by Lamoine Historical Society
MMN Item 17197 Item Details
Shore Acres Hotel, Lamoine, 1927
MMN Item 17197 Zoom

Description

The Shore Acres Hotel was located near Lamoine Beach. It was built as a farm house in 1795 by Louis Deslsle and became the Deslsle Hotel in the late 19th century.

The name was changed to the Shore Acres Hotel in 1892 at the request of James Hearne, who wrote the play Shore Acres in Lamoine.

It was one of at least three large resort hotels in the area. The others were the Gault Hotel, located where the Lamoine State Park is now, and the LeMoyne Inn, which was west of where Shore Acres now stands.

In the 1880s, developers and others attempted to promote Lamoine as a summer resort, hoping to raise property values and provide seasonal employment to the residents, but they were unsuccessful, as were efforts to bring the railroad to Lamoine.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.